A Travellerspoint blog


So after the excitement of the Songkran festival we decided to retreat back to quieter Kata, we're now staying in a hotel on the other side of town in a small gated hotel community. Its the down season so there are not many people about. On friday we decided to go out and see some of the local bars, a few had poles out the front with girls dancing on them, we met several Aussies and it total visited 3 bars before I had to walk a very young and drunk Russian girl back to her hotel after I watched her fall over in the street, then some seedy guy started to follow her. She couldn't speak a word of English only, 'drunk' and 'very good' which is what she said after I took her shoes off while we were walking so she'd stop falling over. We managed to get her back to her hotel where randomly another guy who happened to speak Russian was outside, he said a few words to her but couldn't speak English either.

The next day I woke up and could not stop throwing up I'd also had to use the bathroom about 20 times a day for the past 2 days but this was different, my stomach cramped so badly that it made me want to throw up more and I'd often be on the toilet and throwing up into the basin next to me. Every time I took a sip of water, my stomach would cramp up again and away I would go to the bathroom. I was getting really thirsty but couldn't hold anything down and stayed in the room with the curtains shut trying to sleep for 2 days, but day 3 I was still getting worse and there was now blood when I went to the bathroom - this could not be a good sign I thought, so we called a doctor to come and visit me, they asked Josh about my symptoms and told me to go to the hospital so with plastic bag in hand I jumped into a cab and drove 1/2 an hour to the Bangkok Phuket hospital.

The service was nothing short of amazing. I felt like a rock-star at a hotel. The cab pulled up a man in uniform helped me out of the cab, asked if I needed the bathroom and then put me in a wheel chair and wheeled me to get the first set of tests, they took my photo, copied passports, I signed a few forms, then it was off to get ultrasounds, prodded by a doctor and then wheeled into my private, spacious room with a balcony, views private bathroom shower, flat screen tv with cable channels and a large couch for Josh to sleep on. Within an hour I was hooked up to a drip and been given 3 types of medication and intravenous antibiotics. 5 nurses and 1 doctor popped in and both days and the night changing asking questions, changing meds, drips etc every couple of hours and when the buzzer was pressed they were in my room in under 30 seconds. Australian and NZ hospitals take note! By the end of the second day I was no longer throwing up, cramps had eased and I had to use the bathroom less, they let me go with a bundle of drugs and now I'm comfortably back at the hotel. I got the feeling this was not the first time they'd had some 'farang' (foreigner) come in with that problem!Feeling better

Feeling better

Posted by Tamarillo 07:55 Archived in Thailand

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint